Sunday, September 8, 2019

Sunday Afternoon Doll Making


Mary Elizabeth, formerly painted with acrylics as a brown eyed brunette, has been transformed into an oil painted blond with blue eyes.  I took an oil painting class called "20 Oil Painting Techniques."  It has opened up a whole new world for me.  I learned very simple things, such as how to clean brushes and how to dispose of oil paint waste.  I needed this information to get brave enough to use oils on a regular basis.  Now I can't stop!  I am obsessed with the look of oils.

Vintage rick rack lines the top of her body covering.

I think Mary Elizabeth likes being a blond.

I sculpted her toes from paper clay.

Mary Elizabeth



My experiment doll, Permelia, also got a makeover in oils.  I am interested to see what the final effect will be.  Under the oils, she has an acrylic crackle paint layer.  I oil painted right over the cracks.  I was happy that I could still see some of the crackles.

There is a small, bored rat terrier on the stairs.  I have been ignoring her all morning because I have been doll making.  She is ready for me to put my paints and sewing machine away.

11 inch doll with cloth layered head construction - painted in oils

Work in progress

 2 Blond dolls

Edyth has been inspiring me with her excitement about Queen Anne dolls.  I sculpted this head from paper clay onto a torso that she designed.  

I embedded some paperweight, glass eyes into the paper clay.

So far, she has a single outer layer of oils and one undercoat of burnt umber acrylic.

2 comments:

  1. I love painting with oils. You so inspire me. Thanks for sharing.Yesterday I painted a sunflower(acrylics and colored pencils) on a wooden disk to use as a table top on an old nail keg. It is for my newly screened in porch. I am looking forward to doing some doll painting very soon. My 55 th class reunion is this coming weekend so house cleaning takes priority.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! They are all very lovely and charming! I love to see what you are working on. It seems like you always get so much done, while it seems to take me forever to accomplish anything. Always fun to visit with you. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete