Thursday, January 9, 2014

Playing Dolls Through The Years, The Martha Rutledge Collection

My mother, Martha, has some of her collection of dolls and doll accessories on display at her local community center.  I had a great time visiting the display this morning.  She makes beautiful little doll quilts and collects all sorts of doll related items.  Some of the dolls are my hand-made ones and some are her antiques.  She has doll furniture, dishes, her quilts, her collection of 1930's baby dolls (the type that she played with as a child), and even the doll bed that her father made her for Christmas when she was 9.  There are a couple of adorable Gail Wilson dolls that I made, some made from Dixie Redmond's Izannah Walker pattern, Gail's Hitty, and some china heads. There's a tiny child's sewing machine, doll clothing patterns, and tiny vintage sewing notions.   It was so rewarding to watch people pass by and notice all of those treasures!

Gail Wilson's dolls are sitting among Martha's sweet doll quilts, dishes and small furniture.

The doll bed on the lowest shelf is the one made by Eugene Atkins, Martha's Daddy, many years ago, when he was Santa and she was his precious little girl.  Money wasn't plentiful in her family, so she and her little sister didn't get new dolls that Christmas.  Instead, Martha and sister, Janice woke up to find that Santa had delivered hand-made doll beds and hand-sewn doll clothes (sewn by Dorothy Atkins - Martha's mother)  for their beloved dolls which they already owned.  Both sisters always remembered this day as their favorite, most magical Christmas.

More dolls, quilts and cuteness.

Martha Rutledge and Elaine McNally - - mother and daughter doll nuts!  We're so lucky to have this hobby in common.

8 comments:

  1. What a wonderful collection! How great that you and your mom share this interest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like mother like daughter...two very talented ladies. What a marvelous collection! I know it is being enjoyed...lucky people!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to see you new post. Have thought of you and missed seeing your sweet dollies. How blessed to share this talent and interest with your mom. The displays are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing that, Elaine. Having met your mom, I can picture her handling each piece with wonder. I always loved your Izzies and sculpted dolls, but those embroidered rag dolls are a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the kind of display that always stops me in my tracks. I look until I think I'm going to have a headache, then I go away and try not to think about it, then I come back and look some more. :) I love your work and Now I think I love your mother's work, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful display of dollies and furniture. I know the people are enjoying getting to see these things. Your dolls are so pretty too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, that is amazing! I agree with Aunt Lou about having to go back for another look.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You and Mum are so very talented, truly!
    Hugs,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete