Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Learning to Needle Sculpt

I decided that I really wanted to make an all cloth doll, but I like the features to be 3D.  So I started reading about and watching tutorials on needle sculpting, needle felting and Waldorf dolls.  I want to make old looking rag dolls with 3D faces.  I experimented with different head patterns and shapes.  I figured out new, improved techniques.  I decided to paint them like Izannahs, all with the same hairstyle and features.  For the last 2 weeks, I have cranked out doll after doll, trying to learn, tweak and get the look that I want.  I learn best by jumping in and experimenting.  I am still not satisfied, but I feel like I have progressed a lot from the first needle sculpted doll.  Here they are in order.
Here is the whole group.

One: I was inspired by a photo in a book on antique dolls for this one.  There is a photo that is supposedly a needle sculpted Izannnah Walker doll in the book Early American Dolls in Full Color by Helen Nolan.  Poor little number one...

Two: I started off with a ball-shaped, tied off stockinette with this one.

Three:  I used the same head/torso pattern that I usually use to make my paper clay dolls for this doll.  I also covered her with an outer layer of cotton knit, to make a nicer painting surface.

Four: I found a very strange head pattern on the internet for her head, and I needle sculpted it.  I don't like how I can see the stitches so well on this one.  

Five: I like this one.

Six: Too many goofs and asymmetries.  I used a tiny pom-pom for her nose, under the final layer of cotton knit.

Seven: Getting the hang of it.  Feeling better about the process.  With this doll, in addition to needle sculpting, I built up the features a bit with some needle felting (with wool roving) under that final layer.

Eight: There will be many more.  I really like making these all cloth dolls.  Paper clay is wonderful, but I love the light weight, all cloth feel of a little rag doll.


3 comments:

  1. This is exciting to see! A new skill is mastered. Yours are as good as many doll makers with years at it..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fine! Never stop in your way. New experiments in the work are always more interesting than the usual things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your creativity and work ethic shine through! these are sweet dolls. Isn't learning something new fun?

    ReplyDelete