Friday, January 3, 2020

Lucy

Here is Lucy.  She is my latest Queen Anne inspired doll.

Lucy looks out the window at a little dog, who is looking in.  Lucy's torso was made by Edyth.  Previous to her incarnation as Lucy, she was known as "Egghead."  I was given permission to do a head transplant on poor Egghead.  I sculpted a new head, but there were still some problems, so I had to add a layer of fabric to the paperclay.  That's how Lucy was born.   She is painted in oils.   
I am reading a book called The Dress of the People, by John Styles.  It is about what common people wore in England in the 18th century.  It's a fascinating book.   Blue checked fabric is mentioned as a common fabric - not fancy.  It was probably homespun.  Lucy has a blue checked bed gown.  Every woman had a bed gown.  I learned about bed gowns here: http://www.marquise.de/en/1700/howto/frauen/18mdelit.shtml.  I used the free pattern from this website to make Lucy's bed gown.  Her hat is a begere, or shepherdess hat.

Neckerchiefs were very important items of clothing in the 18th century.  Lucy has a lacy one.  She is very proud of it.

 I made Lucy's wig from some doll hair that I found at the coolest store in Austin, Texas.  It is called Austin Creative Reuse.  It is a super volunteer-run thrift shop for craft and art supplies.  People donate their used and unwanted materials, including fabric and doll supplies.  It's the best place!

Lucy

1 comment:

  1. Lucy is wonderful! Very interesting about the clothing. I will have to look for that book to add to my collection. I wish I had your sewing skills! ~Carolyn

    ReplyDelete