Sunday, July 31, 2011

Testing a friend's dress pattern on former soldier doll

This was a test dress that I made, using a friend's prototype pattern.  I wonder if anyone else has ever had a blog post entitled "testing a friend's dress pattern on former soldier doll."

She really wanted a waist band to show off her figure.

Then she insisted on puff sleeves, a fuller skirt and an eyelet ruffle.  I wonder what she'll want next.

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Civil War Soldier does an About Face

I made this doll last year.  Here is the former state of the doll: http://mcnallyschool.blogspot.com/2010/03/robert-louis-and-dudley.html.  This was Dudley, the blond Civil War soldier.

Now her name is Sarah.


Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Georgia Constance - re-done doll from Dixie's class

Georgia Constance was originally made in 2010 from Dixie's workshop pattern.  Click here to see what she looked like before.

Resting.

She has a re-sculpted and re-painted head.

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Another Re-Done Doll

Here is my latest re-done doll.  I gave her new limbs, using Dixie's IW pattern.  She also has a re-sculpted and re-painted head.

I painted her skin, facial features and boots with acrylics.  Then I painted hair with oils.

The hardest part about making this doll was the ruffle on the dress!!!  The doll was originally smaller and shorter, so the dress was too short for the re-done doll.  I scrounged around to find some tiny pieces of the original fabric and worked FOREVER to make that silly ruffle along the hem, to lengthen the dress a bit.  I hope that she's satisfied!
My daughter named her Eleanor.

Memaw's House

My mom, Martha Rutledge, makes beautiful little doll quilts.  Here's one of her new ones.

Here's another one.  I love this one!
She also made these two adorable little rag dolls.
One of Mom's many sewing corners.

Sweet tableau in Mom's house.
She made the rag doll on left for me a long time ago.  I made Olive, on the right.  She made Olive's beautiful new dress.  Olive's dress fabric is a Civil War repro fabric.  The color is a bluish green.  Mom told me that this was a common shade of green because the yellow became fugitive from the original green, leaving more blue.  Sometimes the blue would fade, leaving a poison green tone.  Also, the print is called a foulard.  Foulards had a diagonal repeating pattern and were very popular during the 19th century.
Mom and my kids, arranging diamonds that Mom paper pieced for a larger quilt.


Sunday, July 3, 2011

Another re-done doll from 2009

I re-sculpted and re-painted.  She also got a new stockinette covering for her head.  Her clothes are vintage, from a doll show.  I just love the dotted Swiss apron.

Her head ended up being enormous, because of the addition of clay to even out the head shape.  When I review my older dolls, I realize that I pay WAY more attention to overall head shape and symmetry than I used to.  Before I start sculpting features, I spend hours and hours sculpting and sanding the head to get a nice shape.  One of the reasons that I'm so enjoying these re-done dolls is that I can see my learning process in action.  Very rewarding.